How to Request Copies of Your Military Records

Download PDF

Veterans and surviving family members can request copies of their complete military file from the government free of charge.


Use Standard Form 180 to request your military records.


There are two kinds of individual military records: PERSONNEL records and MEDICAL records.

Personnel records are stored in a veteran’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). An OMPF should include records of a veteran’s duty stations and assignments, training and qualifications, awards and decorations received, disciplinary actions, administrative remarks, enlistment and/or discharge information (including DD214 or equivalent), and other personnel actions.

Medical records, known as Service Treatment Records (SRTs), are all records of outpatient medical, mental health and dental care received by the veteran during the course of their military career.

**Veterans may also possess additional personnel and medical records from their time in service that are not part of their OMPF.

Veterans will in most cases want to request their entire military file, including all personnel and medical records (see below), as the review boards will also have the entire record during their inquiry and review.


Personnel records and Medical records may be stored in different locations, depending upon the veteran’s branch of service and date of death or discharge. If records are stored separately, you will need to make multiple requests. Refer to the chart and addresses on the Standard Form 180 to determine where to send your completed SF180 request(s).


  • Scan a copy of your signed, dated SF180 to keep for your personal records.
  • Send your SF180 request via USPS certified first class mail w/ return receipt for confirmation.
  • Records requests can also be submitted online, but SF180 requests are the recommended method. HERE


This information is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Lincoln’s Promise NFP or its staff. It was assembled with great care, but please ensure that you are using the most up-to-date information.